Sunday, September 27, 2009

Birthday Surprise!

Parker had a birthday shout hurray! Our oldest offspring turned 7 on the 23 (Wednesday). Unfortunately we couldn't celebrate that day because "dad had to be at stinky school all day long!" The real reason is that Ryan's parents and brother weren't getting here until Wednesday night after the kids were in bed. I told Parker that she would have a birthday surprise on Thursday and she would love it so much that it would be worth the wait.

It would have been a great surprise too except that Parker ran into Grandma Button en route to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Despite the non-surprise she loved her birthday and it was worth waiting an extra day.



Parker wanted a cake that was very girly, "something pretty or pink or sparkly or something." (I have wondered several times how we could possibly be genetically linked) Well, there was no way I was attempting a castle or something sparkly (how could you make a sparkly cake !?!) so I opted for the most girly thing that could be in the shape of a square. . . a purse!



It actually turned out to be a lot of fun! It's strawberry cake on the inside so even the cake part is pink, I know, I really outdid myself. The handle was a bit tricky, it weighed a ton so I had to get some beading wire to help support it. I took this picture right after I stuck it in and by the time we ate the cake, about two hours later, the handle was laying flat.




Grandpa and Grandma Button took Parker out and bought her a new winter coat for her birthday. She had no inhibitions about putting on a fashion show for us. (Once again, is she my child?)

The kids had a hay day with Uncle Nick! They are his biggest fans.




On Friday we went to the zoo, the one day it didn't rain yippee! I think it wore the adults out more than the kids which was opposite of our plan.


Our biggest adventure at the zoo would have to be the sting ray exhibit. While Grandpa and Ryan were helping Makay pet one of the sting rays (which is allowed) Creed decided that he didn't need help. After one huge splash, a dazed Creed and many frightened sting rays, Ryan pulled Creed off of a flattened sting ray and out of the exhibit sopping wet. I'm not so sure they are going to allow the petting any more and I'm really not sure if that one sting ray recovered from all the 30 pounds of Creed that landed on him.



As you can tell we had an eventful weekend with the Buttons. It always comes to an end too quickly though! Dressed in our best the kids got some pictures with Grandpa and Grandma before they had to go.

It's amazing how well this picture turned out considering there's five kids in it!

More hugs for Uncle Nick and they were off. Thanks so much for flying across the country to visit us! We love you!

6 comments:

Keri_B said...

I love that picture with Grandma and Grandpa and all the kiddos...so cute! Sounds like you had lots of fun with them visiting, now send them back to us! :)It's your turn to come here now, right?!?! Love ya!

Keri_B said...

Forgot to say Happy Birthday Parker!!! Can't believe she is so old. Seems like just the other day she was born!

McShane Family said...

I love the story about Creed falling into the sting ray tank. Hilarious! It's always some Button kid isn't it? In my family it would be Emily. Glad you had so much fun with Doug, Kim and Nick.

MarjAnn said...

Looks fun! Thanks for ispiring me to try the home made fondant- it turned out great!

Melinda said...

Very Cute cake and Parker has great taste. I love the coat. Happy Birthday!

Brittany said...

Berni! I cannot believe Creed fell in. Promise me you'll hold his hand next time you take him to Sea World's shark exhibit. Thanks for sharing, I love to hear a story like that and have it not involve my child. I love that you took his picture too as he is soaking wet. Classic.

Way to go on the cake too. I'm very impressed. Your kids are lucky to have such a talented and energetic mom to do things like that. I can't believe Parker is 7. I still remember Ryan holding her at your 1st apartment all funky as a baby because that's how she liked to stretch out. How do they just keep growing like that?