Sunday, January 3, 2010

Julie & Julia. . . and Berni

Most of the family got a vacation from school for a few weeks so I took a vacation from blogging. The break has allowed me to return to my center, blogging is very stressful work you know.

Well, it's great to say but we really haven't done anything. The kids have been playing with the toys they got at Christmas. . .



or more like fighting for each others. The toys are always better on the other side of the fence, even if they were meant for a one year old.

One thing we have been doing is actively trying to stay warm. Christmas brought the cold weather (30's and below) and our house is feeling it. Most of you know we keep the thermostat at 60 during the day and turn it down to 50 at 7:00 when the kids go to bed. (Yes, we have plenty of blankets.)

Last night Ryan and I were watching a movie and shivering like crazy. I burst out laughing when our atomic clock said it was 47 degrees in our living room! Don't anybody worry, we are all staying warm enough, we just can't afford the $500 bill to keep our house at 65 during the day and 60 at night (we about had a heart attack that month). It's just one more story for "Our lives as college students."

Since it's too cold to play outside, the kids have been finding ways to entertain themselves. For instance, Easton found a circle paper clasp which provided hours of enjoyment.


But oh no, Creed couldn't find one. Where is the justice in this world!?!

Oh (sigh) don't worry, everything is okay now. He found a penny.


I made the mistake of renting "Julie and Julia" during the break. This set in motion a string of events that were not at all conducive to a dieting lifestyle.

I had so much fun! I made two pounds of English Toffee and "sugar 'n' spice" creme brulee that had vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks in it for a Christmas party, we had sweet potatoes that we made with our vita mixer, for New Years Eve we made Pina Colada's and Peach Daiquiri's (don't worry I made virgin ones for the kids ;) and my most favorite thing yet was the bruschetta with spinach, tomatoes and mozzarella! Don't I sound just like Julia Child, so in love with food. She just made it look so fun! I went so far as to make our decorations out of food. Scratch that, not food, candy.

This is Beckham eating some New Years Eve crackers and cheese ball.



So basically other then food we haven't done a whole lot. I did however finally take some pictures of some things I have been working on in the tower (my craft room) for a while.

A flower cuff bracelet

Some green mother of pearl earrings


Funky pink mother of pearl and black crystal earrings


And my favorite, a butterfly necklace that gave me a run for my money. I had to rework it several times and do some research online of how to make this kind of necklace. I love the look of them but man, are they a pain in the rear-end!


6 comments:

Keri_B said...

Fun times in your house!! We just got our heating bill and it was $250. Um, we are bringing out the blankets or we won't be eating soon! The best thing about Rexburg (besides the snow cones on every corner)was not having to pay for heat!!! Love you guys!

MarjAnn said...

Oh so fun craftiness! Glad you are all doing well and that we're not the only ones with a little craziness in their lives! Miss you!

Adams said...

Why do you live so far away?

Melinda said...

Wow, that is a crazy heating bill! It sounds like your house needs some extra insulation! It's times like this I am glad our house is tiny and fairly cheap to heat.

Kirsty Michaelis said...

I can't believe how cold you have to keep your house! I am a total desert wimp now...we keep our house at 68 all day and 70 at night. Its a good thing I don't live on the east any more :). BTW I love your jewelery, you make beautiful things.

the Bunker Family said...

You should make small fires in each of your kids' rooms. That wouldn't be a problem would it? One more reason to head to San Diego first chance you get...oh, and I love the edible crafts and love the jewelery. You're quite the jack of all trades, good for you!