Saturday, January 16, 2010

kid potential

So the Button family is doing good, just haven't had a lot to post lately. Thought I'd give Berni a break and post this time. Also wanted to quickly add to a past posting of hers that talked about how you know if you live in a ghetto. Two more evidences that may manifest this include the bullet proof glass shielding the post office workers from the possible dangers lurking on the other side as well as the sign posted on Rite Aids front door (my personal favorite) that asks everyone to please take off their ski masks before entering.

One of the things that I am constantly guilty of as a father is the tendency I have to underestimate my childrens abilities. As much as I'd like to say that the artwork pictured above is mine...Our five year old Easton was messing around on paintbrush today and came up with this (I'm flattered to say that the handsome man driving this beautiful automobile is actually supposed to be me).
I guess the reason I hold my kids back is the fact that I am always comparing them to me and well, if I couldn't do something at their age, then neither can they. Yeah, good thing they have a talented mother.
So one of the gifts Parker recieved on Christmas was the game of chess. I figured I'd tell her what a boring game it was and get out of ever having to play this game that pretty much makes my brain hurt from the strategy involved. Well, Parker won me over in the end. I had to brush up on the instructions so that I could teach her the way all the pieces move etc. She soaked everything up and asked spot on follow-up questions about almost every rule that I taught her. A few days later when we played again, she remembered everything.

Anyway, I guess my point is, you know how when you are a teenager and you think your parents don't know anything? I'm afraid that for my childrens father, that may actually turn out to be truer than I'd like.

5 comments:

Keri_B said...

Kelsi and Andrew love to play chess with their Grandpa Button! Keep playing Parker, someday we will have a tournament :) Thank goodness for your kids they have a wonderfully talented mother! Makay will be selling things on Etsy soon, I just know it!

Jeff said...

Ryan, you make me laugh! I love reading about your family, and wish I could work out a visit with you guys.

kiki comin said...

haha. ryan you are too funny. i am loving the ever growing list of ghetto qualifications. our kids ARE smart, huh! the thought of them getting smarter than me is just too daunting to even imagine.yikes!

kim said...

That is a defining moment in every parents life when that realization comes of how smart they really are. YIKES! Parker has a lot going for her -she'll have to brush me up onthe game when we see her again.

MarjAnn said...

It's good to hear from you Ryan! And parenthood is a great teacher for me too. Give Berndog a hug for me!